Why Write Anyway?

Without writing what would we read? How else would be we disclose ourselves, our individuality, separateness and peculiarity? Without writing we have no message, we would lack the engineering marvels created by words. We need writers to have something to quote to better express ourselves and understand others. As Rabbi Salanter, once said, "Writing is one of the easies things: erasing is one of the hardest". The What and Why and How and Where and Who of life would not exist if it were not for writing.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Hopefully we are the difference


I've titled my blog , "The  Difference Is". For what reason? Simply put, I'm different. Not in a mean or hurtful way, but hopefully in a progressive, creative, reframing way. So much of what we do, see and model ourselves after tends to come from the 'herd mentality'. Most of us have little time to rethink much of what we accept as normal behavior or a proper response to what life throws our way. We get stuck in the miry clay of the status quo and creative thoughts get lost in the battle to keep from sinking in the routine of just living to stay alive.

Four years ago, I was afflicted with a cancer that was determined to take my life. Thankfully, with  God's help and the wisdom and research of our fine Cancer Agency here in Vancouver, I survived. What I survived into is what this blog will attempt to express. I am a work in progress, which is an understatement. At times, I feel like a blind man in a dark room looking for a black hat that isn't there. But at the same time, my knowledge has piled up into a stack of facts translated into a small mound of wisdom. Many a time I have wanted to stop talking and find out what I really believed. I'm reminded of an inscription found on the Berlin Wall during its collapse. It said, "Never since the time of Copernicus have so many been so wrong so often with so little humility."

May the walls of the status quo and ignorance come down and never shall the King's men rebuild them.

Dif.fer-ence (noun)
  • A point or way which people or things are not the same: the difference between men and women
  • The state or condition of being dissimilar or unlike: their difference from one another
As Winston Churchill said, "Out of intense complexities intense simplicities emerge."

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, honey. I will be your first and loyal subscriber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always knew you were different :) Love you dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This should be the battle cry of the ones who know better....
    "The emperor has no clothes"~

    wiLd biLL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Eloquent. I love this sentence: "May the walls of the status quo and ignorance come down and never shall the King's men rebuild them."

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive