Why Write Anyway?

Without writing what would we read? How else would be we disclose ourselves, our individuality, separateness and peculiarity? Without writing we have no message, we would lack the engineering marvels created by words. We need writers to have something to quote to better express ourselves and understand others. As Rabbi Salanter, once said, "Writing is one of the easies things: erasing is one of the hardest". The What and Why and How and Where and Who of life would not exist if it were not for writing.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Salt Water and Paris Hilton

When I started writing this blog I decided to title it, "And the Difference Is" this was a spin off from the music, movie and social awards specials that have been afflicted upon us in the media domain we live in.  As we wait breathlessly to find out who "The Winner Is...".  This blog is a parity of that phrase.  On a side bar to the title, I also chose that name because I'm different.  I'm a sixty-two year old male, happily married to my one and only wife, three wonderful daughters, who have made me very proud, not only with their selection of outstanding son-in-laws, but two Grandchildren as well ( Samuel and Sophia).  I'm not sure if that qualifies me as "different". My other options for "different" are being a survivor of the sixties and its music and cultural craziness, plus I'm a survivor of the Vietnam War and all the after birth of those two generational experiences.  My profile: I do not have a ponytail, nor do I wear an earring and have absolutely no tattoos.   I have my follies and unfortunately they are the most interesting part of me (a good cigar is worth the dangers involved, just ask Winston Churchill).  All of us are as God made us and often times a good deal less.  But, none the less, we all like to be different. 

Difference can be the rejection of a social down stream of character twisting and value degrading that pushes the likes of Paris Hilton and other social divas into role models for our society and its young people.  They have become the new voices of reason and preach the gospel of success and uselessness at the expense of morality, good judgement and most importantly, our consumer dollars.  The characterless lives of people who only have arrived because of the media's need for poster size empty headed, glamorized shells that will influence the spending habits and promote the endless greed for the latest needs of the young and restless of our visual, technical generation.  The bottom line has always been the bottom line, the money.  Why do we BUY into it?  The myth of raising our standard of living has produced in us a lower standard of life.  Our society has become  like salt water, good to swim in, but hard to swallow.  We've exchanged the brotherhood of life for the neighborhood and most of us do not know our neighbors.  How society has evolved has caused us to lose the charm of intimacy, the ability to be interested in the trifles of another's life.  The drowning of human rights has drowned out the need for human obligations.

I feel like a pharmacist who is writing prescription but does not ultimately know if they have worked until someone comes back for the refill.  Diagnosis and medication are the easy part of any cure, taking the medicine as directed is the difficult part.  "And The Difference Is...", hopefully, you and me.  



1 comment:

  1. Well written dad! I love reading your writing and I truly think you are a great writer. I look forward to more.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive